So the idea of altering an existing image by dismantling it and rearranging it has always been a fascination. I’ve recently returned to this.
These first 5 paintings are all mountain images. The second painting here again cut in a 15mm strip was achieved by reversing the place of each strip, no vertical movement.
Now with a 20mm cut I used the second technique as above merely swapped the reversing of the strips from the vertical to the horizontal plane.
Again with a 20mm cut placed upside down every other strip. The result was very unexpected. The remarkable aspect to all this work is that the subject is still obvious, even strangely enhanced.
So I repeated it again with a thinner 15mm strip. It creates almost a circular pattern. I’ll return to this again in the future.
Here I took this poppy field image in 15mm cuts and arranged them alternatively.
Next I took a landscape image and extended the previous idea into squares. So like a chess board the image is split into two parts and placed back together. The foreground and the sky being at the extreme end of the image.
By now I needed to have a look at what the effect would be on an image with a strong horizontal and vertical component. So I took an image of some silver birch trees and split it into 15mm strips and moved every other strip through 10mm on the vertical plane. Obviously the vertical shapes remain more or less in tact however the horizontal becomes distorted
A similar image this time moving the strips in a 3 part wave formation on the horizontal plane.
Next step was to try a diagonal cut 20mm here. This moves both the horizontal and vertical plane equally.
Sop a bit of a leap here to an image a little similar to the last in this post. essentially made up from a series of squares created through graded wand changed washes (hence the colour variations) that are then moved along the diagonal plane.
The result was very interesting so I tried a more detailed painting below. The squares were 50mm a side and the strips here are moved through 25mm.
This painting uses exactly the same idea with different colours. the cut is now 33.3 degrees instead of 45 degrees and the diagonal cut is moved through 50mm the same size as the squares. So within 2 different ideas I could see how the possibilities very quickly become extensive.
Lastly I painted two images, both in three washes to create a series of squares. The two paintings featured below take one half from each work to make the whole again. the first here moves the 25mm across the diagonal plane.
In the final image in this blog I just placed them back together as squares. This demonstrates the key point with all the original watercolours featured here. This is that it is impossible to paint one of these images. They have to be constructed in the two part process. Firstly painting the image and then reassembling it.
All of this work is or will be available (all roughly 22 x 30 inches) email me at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.